FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 14, 2005
MACOMB COUNTY CLERK PROGRAMS EARN GOOD GOVERNMENT AWARDS
The Macomb County Clerk / Register of Deed's office led the county in good government awards received from the National Association of Counties ("NACo") and Macomb County led the state in awards received.
The Macomb County Clerk / Register of Deeds's office received three NACo awards. Her office submitted 13 programs for consideration. The clerk / register of deeds received awards for partnering with the Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transport ("SMART") to provide free bus service to jurors, putting public circuit court case information on the Internet, and using electronic bar codes to process juror paperwork more efficiently.
Each year the National Association of Counties issues awards for good county government, including “achievement awards.” The purpose of the awards is to nationally recognize county programs that enhance services, improve county management or promote intergovernmental coordination.
“Macomb County is a leader nationally in many areas,” said Macomb County Clerk / Register of Deeds. “Several county departments have innovative programs. Last year just happened to be a great year in the clerk’s office.”
The following clerk / register of deeds programs were submitted for NACo award consideration:
- Evening Office Hours. The office is open Wednesdays until 7pm.
- Providing overnight delivery of birth certificates and other documents.
- Placing campaign finance reports on the Internet showing county and local campaign contributions.
- Making library books available for jurors while on jury duty.
- Providing a mobile clerk's office throughout the county offering services to those who cannot drive to Mount Clemens.
- Providing electronic lists of jurors to district courts to avoid duplicate data entry.
- Implementing an electronic bar-coded circuit court file tracking system.
- Providing fax and Internet access to circuit court files.
- Computerizing the concealed weapons licensing process making it easier for applicants to check their status.
- Presenting free informational seminars throughout the county letting people know about clerk’s office services and answering common questions.
The county clerk’s office keeps court records and vital records such as birth and death records, business registrations and military discharge records. The office also runs elections and keeps records for various boards including the Macomb County Board of Commissioners, Civil Service Commission, Concealed Weapons Licensing Board and others. The register of deeds office records real estate documents such as deeds and mortgages. The office has county property records dating back to 1837.
“My staff and I are working to modernize the office and improve customer service,” said the Macomb County Clerk. “Winning awards is nice, but the important thing is for the public to know we have a lot to be proud of in Macomb County. In the clerk’s office, we’re serving the public well. ”