County Clerk warns of possible deed scam
Mount Clemens, MI – Calling attention to what some may view as a “scam,” the Macomb County Clerk / Register of Deeds (D-Warren) issued a warning to homeowners to beware of letters from Record Transfer Services or National Record Service, Inc. offering to provide homeowners with a copy of their deed at a charge 10 times the amount it should cost them. Although it sounds like it could be an official government agency with an address on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C. it is not.
“In Macomb County, deeds are available on the Internet for $6, in person at my office for $1, and certified for only $1 more,” said the Macomb County Clerk. “No one needs to pay $83 for a copy of their deed. I would rather see people spend the money at a Macomb County business.”
The letter to many Macomb County residents says a U.S. Government website, “recommends that property owners have an official or certified copy of their deed,” and offers to provide one at a cost of $83. In smaller print the letter states the company, “[I]s not affiliated with any governmental agency. Many government records are available free or at a nominal cost from government agencies.”
The charges are not illegal but are significantly more than what a person would pay who requests a copy directly from the county register of deeds office.
Macomb County deeds recorded from 1818 to the present are available on Sabaugh’s Register of Deeds “Super Index” Web site http://deeds.macombgov.org for $6. The site was created in partnership with Xerox and Google, and searching Macomb County real estate records is as easy as doing a Google search.
Macomb County deeds may also be requested by mail or in person. Requests are processed the same day they are received. The register of deeds office is open to the public week days from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
Helping consumers is not new for the Macomb County Clerk. As Macomb County Clerk – Register of Deeds, the Macomb County Clerk was the first county clerk in Michigan to:
- Provide evening hours making sure people can get personal service if they cannot leave work to visit the clerk’s office during the day.
- Offer a mobile branch office bringing clerk’s services to local communities.
- Provide free bus service to people summoned for jury duty.
- Provide overnight delivery for birth certificates and other vital records.
- Accept credit card payment for court filings and vital records.
- Reduce jury duty from one week to the shorter of one day or one trial.
- Start a Personal Protection Order Assistance Center to help victims of abuse.
- The Macomb County Register of Deeds is one of only three in the state to provide homeowners with mortgage redemption calculations, making it easier to save a home from foreclosure.
Out of State: 310-575-5035