Total Job Growth
(National average $61,490)
Healthcare and social assistance is an emerging and fast growing industry cluster within Macomb County. Establishments within this cluster offer a fully integrated continuum of care that ranges from general hospitals to specialty facilities. The county provides access to world-class healthcare with four top-rated hospital systems that have stellar offerings in areas including cardiac care, cancer treatment and orthopedic surgery. Macomb County’s vast spectrum of healthcare providers within its hospitals and wide range of other facilities offers the regional population of nearly five million residents access to affordable and quality care options.
Since 2014, healthcare and social assistance organizations have used Macomb County’s Business Retention Program to invest over $180 million into expansion efforts. Macomb County now has three general hospitals with capacity for approximately 1,100 beds. Plans for an additional hospital was announced in March 2019. Macomb County is serviced by an expansive network of universities and colleges focused on educating a highly skilled workforce. Many are working on the next advancements in life sciences.
|Job Title||Employed in Industry Group (2019)||Percent Increase 2010 - 2019||Median Hourly Earnings (2019)|
|Personal Care Aides||2,484||118%||$10.51|
Macomb County offers a variety of advantages in the healthcare and social assistance cluster through its top facilities, including:
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
- Specialty areas include Heart & Vascular Institute, Specialized Robotic Cardiac Surgery, Cancer Institute, Women’s and Children's Services, Orthopedics, and Neurosciences
- Offers an inpatient rehabilitation program, an ambulatory and minimally invasive surgery center and leading diagnostic imaging
- Henry Ford Macomb in Clinton Township is doing a $318 million expansion that will feature a five-story addition with all private rooms.The expansion is projected to be completed in 2023.
McLaren Macomb Hospital
- Specialty areas that offer diagnostic and surgical services include the Heart Center and Cancer Center
- Recently opened a corporate services office, with 57,000 square foot facility, and have increased its revenues by $30 million annually
- McLaren Macomb in Clinton Township invested in a $25 million expansion that is expected to be completed in June 2022. The new three story medical center will occupy a vacant lot across from the hospital's parking structure.
Ascension Health System
- Provides inpatient and outpatient services including behavioral medicine, cancer care, cardiology, emergency center, physical medicine, rehabilitation, surgery, and womens’ health
- The new Beaumont comprehensive outpatient care campus in Lenox Township is opening in August 2021. This center will have a 120,000 square feet facility, making it the largest outpatient campus in the health system.
- Beaumont Health has additional outpatient clinics in Sterling Heights, across Dequindre Road from Troy Beaumont Hospital and on Hall Road in Macomb Township.
- These outpatient campuses Beaumont-affiliated primary and specialty care physicians, emergency care, imaging, outpatient surgery, cancer services, physical therapy and other offerings. Some independent physicians and other groups may also open offices onsite.
LOCAL SUCCESS IN HEALTHCARE
Healthmark Industries - Fraser, MI
Healthmark Industries started in a family garage and has grown into a multi-million dollar company serving both domestic and international clients. The company began doing residual blood testing on endoscopy medical equipment and has since diversified into manufacturing various instrument trays, personal protection equipment, and other instrument and device sterilization products for the healthcare industry.
By working with the Macomb County Department of Planning and Economic Development, Healthmark Industries was able to expand their footprint in the City of Fraser with both the Industrial Facilities and Plant Rehabilitation Tax Exemptions. This investment exceeded 15 million dollars, has exceeded the initially projected job creation of 140 positions and will continue to add more for a total of 320 jobs, and was awarded incentives over the course of the three-phase project.
The company’s expansion totaled over 230,000 square feet of architectural beauty and the facility now houses a high-tech testing lab, assembly area and warehousing for products that are ready to be shipped anywhere globally.
INDUSTRY JOBS BY YEAR
TOP LOCAL COMPANIES
Ascension St. John’s Hospital
Beaumont Health Systems
Binson’s Home Healthcare Supplies
Children's Hospital (DMC)
College Park Industries
Custom Biogenic Systems
DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan
Elite Mold and Engineering
Henry Ford Hospital
Orthopedic Spine & Sports Therapy
Relevar Home Care
Sequoia Tool and Manufacturing